Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Ridiculous Blessings

The green house dressed up for sports

Me and my new friends Sangeetha,Navia, Sinu, Aparna and Priya

Silly Kisses!
         I received my teaching time table on Monday which includes 4 periods of teaching each day and a few periods of rest in between.  I approached my first class with tons of excitement. Grades are called “standards” in the school system here. My first class was Standard 5 class B. I began my lesson with gusto and introduced myself quickly. The children returned my energy, but most of the students in standard 5 are in their first year of English. Clueless looks were given to me, and when they replied in fast Malayalam, I returned with equal cluelessness.  My lesson was over halfway through.  It seemed like I had been in the class forever. I wrote this feeling off as my western sense of time, so I continued the lesson by writing incorrect sentences on the board. We corrected as a class, but the time really started to weigh upon me. With every cry of “Miss, MISS, MIIIIIISSSS” I wished more and more that I had brought a watch to class. I emerged after winging it and playing hangman with the class feeling a little battered. I had no idea that a 45 minute class period would be so difficult! I retreated to the staff room and talked to the teachers. After looking at my phone clock I realized something….an hour and a half had passed. I politely asked Jaimol Kochamma what period she was about to go to. She said fourth.  Sure enough, I had taught a class for two full periods. The only response I could muster was laughter. I think it was the first time I have truly laughed at myself in India. It was refreshing. I sat in the staff room for most of the day soaking up little details and learning new things. I had a short Malayalam lesson and had a lesson in stitching with Graceamma  Teacher. So far I have learned the chain stitch and the fishbone stich! It is such a gift to learn new skills that require focus and patience.
 Another wonderful gift that God gave me this week is a new friend. On Monday a 6th standard girl introduced herself to me. Her name is Aparna. I told her that I already have a friend named Aparna (my best friend Sunaina’s younger sister). She was so pleased with the idea that there was an American/ Indian Aparna out there somewhere.  At the end of the day my new friend gave me a sweet kiss on the cheek. It almost brought tears to my eyes how easily and freely her love was displayed. Tuesday morning Aparna’s smiling face found me in the crowd. Tuesday and Wednesday the school hosted a sports meet for the students and somehow in the rush, she took the time to seek me out. She introduced me to many of her friends and we went around practicing names, sharing about favorite things, and teaching each other games. I was literally dragged around the whole campus with at least 3 pairs of hands holding each of my arms, and voices yelling “Ba, ba, ba” and “Pokam,” both Malayalam terms for “let’s go.” It was pretty uncomfortable at first, but by the end of the walk I realized that wherever I was going, I was willing to put my faith in these overly enthusiastic strangers. They leapt into friendship with me. It was my duty to leap back. They loved my camera so we took many pictures. I was showered with long kisses for each photo. By the end of the day I had actually learned every name!  If you are bored by this tale of success, have no fear, Tuesday brought another ridiculous moment.  I was pooped on while walking to the staff room by a phantom bird. After laughing a lot again and cleaning myself off, I found that another of my teacher friends Manju also experienced a sneak attack by a “kaka” (the Malayalam word for crow). I am clearly still stumbling and looking ridiculous on a daily basis, but God is blessing me with such abundance here at Buchanan. I am “stumbling on grace” and I am leaping into friendship with everything I have.
“When we become aware that our stuttering, failing, vulnerable selves are loved even when we hardly progress, we can let go of our compulsion to prove ourselves and be free to live with others in a fellowship of the weak. That is true healing.” -Henri J.M. Nowen
A note for all you YAVs: This quote is actually from Ellie Roscher’s book How Coffee Saved My Life: And Other Stories of Stumbling on Grace. I am cheating and reading it now (sorry Shannon and Essie).  The term “stumbling on grace” is a direct steal from her book, so I put it in quotes to do her justice.  I am finding a special kinship with so many of her words. They are powerful and vulnerable all at the same time. I admire more than just her ability to write. I admire her courage and her humility. It may sound creepy, but I feel like she is a dear friend.

2 comments:

  1. hahaha oh Rach! I LOVE it! Time flies when you're having fun I guess! When are you going to teach them songs??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I have taught a song during every lesson. lol. YOU KNOWMESOWELL!

    ReplyDelete