Friday, September 23, 2011

Embracing Diversity

Outside the mess hall where I eat everyday!


This blog is also coming to you all a little late. Connection at Buchanan has been in and out this week. 
Two holidays in one week! Wednesday was probably the first time my brain has stopped going enough for me to be dead tired. I will speak a lot about learning Malayalam on here because communication is a daily obstacle. I have many willing teachers here, but the intricacies of the language are so great that learning the alphabet alone is a struggle.  I found myself getting very frustrated as I studied yesterday. I even became frustrated at the language that I so dearly love, English. My ability to speak only one language puts many limitations on my learning.  I knew I needed a break from studying so I started talking with Joshmi and Lindu, two of the lovely second year TTC students in the hostel. We shared a lot about our personal views, the differences and similarities in our cultures, and about the state of the world. It was a very memorable conversation.  At the end of our talk they shared with me that they both really like to work on their English. It helped me regain a little of the pride I had lost during my studies. It was also nice to hear that these girls who have a language with such ancient roots and such a rich history can also appreciate other modes of communication. It will be important for me to remain appreciative of Malayalam and still respect the integrity of my own tongue. After all, I am called here to serve as both an English teacher and a Malayalam student this year. Yesterday I also finished reading the book of Genesis. I couldn’t help but to be reminded of the Tower of Babel as I wrestled with language. Genesis 11: 6-7 reads, “And the the Lord said, ‘Look, they are one people, and they all have one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them. Come, let us go down and confuse their language there so that they do not understand one another’s speech.’”  Many have read this passage and concluded that God created barriers so that we can overcome them. That is a nice message, but for me it misses the mark.  While reading this passage I was reminded that diversity in language, culture, and worldview is a gift from God. The tower of Babel was also good to read because it always makes me think of Pentacost, a day when God mends linguistic confusion through the spirit and builds the community of the church. This fills me with hope for my year of service. What I lack in understanding, Buchanan fills with an overwhelming sense of community. This week I am also seeing into the life of Nicole's community at Mandiram. I arrived last night and felt instantly welcomed. I even made an instant friendship with a crazy cool 5 year old named Saira. Today we are shopping and getting used to traveling by bus in India! It is awesome to be in Nicole's company today! 
a photo of my visit to Mandiram! Nicole and I with her warden Susan Thomas.
Grace and Peace, 
Rachel
“The God who authored diversity loves it, embraces those who display it and honors those who celebrate it.” –Duane Elmer

1 comment:

  1. Blessings as you continue to study Malayalam! I'm sure it's frustrating and rewarding, all at once.

    ReplyDelete