Sunday, October 2, 2011

Renewing FUN!

Squishing into an Auto Rickshaw! 


Nicole's new Guitar! 
This weekend we had our first retreat in the town of Kottayam. It is only about 4 km from my home in Pallom. We had awesome Bible Studies, an important meeting with some officials at CMS College, A great session that helped us develop some new language training skills, and lots of free time.  It was a nice change of pace and it was really helpful to touch base with the other volunteers. We laughed off shared frustrations, told jokes, sang silly songs, made some beautiful music, and shared a little bit more of our personalities. The highlight of the trip was definitely our boat ride on the world famous backwaters. We got to drink water straight out of a coconut. First you drink the water, then someone pounds the coconut open and creates a little spoon with the hard outer shell. You are then supposed to scoop the tender, delicious coconut right out!
My Coconut
We all took turns snapping photos.  At the end of our ride we watched the Kerala palm trees sway against a sunset that God was clearly painting right in front of our eyes. It was a renewing meeting and overall it left me feeling immensely loved, appreciated and supported. I feel so thankful for each community that prays for me, nurtures me and helps me to grow. I have that in Texas, in many states in the U.S. and countries around the world (yeah YAVs, I mean you) and I have that everywhere I turn in India. I deeply missed the hostel girls while I was away. Sunday when I returned we played games and laughed and shared. They are all excited because there is another holiday this week. The girls get to go home from Tuesday until Sunday. I also have a long holiday. Only two work days! The whole hostel will shut down (including the food), so I am going to be splitting my time between Jaimol Kochamma’s house and Nicole’s place at Mandiram.  It should be another relaxing time, but I will be missing my Buchanan family all the while.
“Let us be grateful for the people who make us happy; they are the charming gardeners who make our souls blossom.” – Marcel Proust




2 comments:

  1. beautiful, Rach! I'm thinkin about you! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the rickshaw picture! Glad that the India YAVs got some quality time together.

    ReplyDelete