Wednesday, September 14, 2011

New and Blessed

My Room!

My first day at Buchanan!
I am currently sitting inside my new world for an entire year. Everything is still so new ! I am also a little jet lagged. I was awaken from an accidental nap right before evening prayer by Mariamma Kochamma. She is the “warden” of my hostel, which essentially means she is a house mother for me and the other girls who live here. She is well respected among the girls and the teachers. She was a Malayalam teacher for years and is apparently an excellent poet! When I first arrived, she immediately ran to show me a photo of herself and the previous volunteer here, Madison. She openly expressed her love and care for Madison, and indicated with the little English that she has that we will have good times as well.  There are 21 women ranging roughly from age 16 to 19 living in my hostel. By day they are students at one of the campuses that shares land with the Buchanan campus, the TTC or Teacher Training School.  Many of them knocked on my door while I was moving in and greeted me with smiles. I am so grateful for their patience with me and my non-existent Malayalam. Today has included many challenges, but each challenge has been accompanied directly with touching, heartfelt moments.  I have a feeling that for much of this year challenge and beauty will go hand in hand.  My supervisor for the year is a woman named Jaimol Kochamma. She was so understanding, helpful and informative while giving me a tour around the campus today. On Tuesday we went into the nearby town of Kottayam to get some necessities and get registered with the local police as students. I am very thankful for her friendship already. On Wednesday I rested all day, and today will be filled with some more rest and hopefully a more extensive Malayalam lesson. I am already catching on quickly. I was also told by the girls yesterday that I will be the new art teacher. No questions asked. haha.  I am also thankful for the friendship I have in Madison. I feel that so much of her light is still lingering here, and it actually comforts me to know that just a year ago she was maybe just as challenged by her first day at Buchanan. In my room she has also left quite a nice collection of books and other small goodies!  I am overflowing with love for this new community and I absolutely can’t wait to learn more!
“ Our steps are made firm by the lord, when he delights in our way; though we stumble, we shall not fall headlong, for the Lord holds us by the hand.” Psalm 37:23-24

No comments:

Post a Comment