Thursday, March 8, 2012

International Women's Day

The school year here at Buchanan officially ends on March 30th. Most of the younger students that make up the "Children's hostel" in B.I. Boarding have now narrowed their exams down to only two....so today was the day that many of them decided to go home and commute for those two exams that take place around the 27th of this month. 

My favorite best friends duo
This morning I woke up and started making cards for the girls. As I crammed all of the things I wanted to say inside decorated paper hearts, it amazed me how much I had to say to them.

They taught me to play, laugh, and enjoy the little things in life here in Kerala. Some of the younger girls are also not returning next year, so I will most likely only see them around on campus. Specifically the "best friends" duo of Athira and Reshmi are not returning.

I will miss Reshmi throwing sticks up into the mango tree to see if she can get one to fall. I will miss cracking up with Athira for no reason. I will miss singing songs with Reshmi while we do everyday tasks. I will miss hearing Athira try to sing along
from left to right: Anu, Athira, Reshmi, Shilpa, Shemi
Kunya, Vava and Anu
Today I also watched Shilpa, Shemi, Jincy, Remya, Vava, Kunya, Anju and Anu leave the building. Anu, Kunya and Vava are sisters and favorites of the older girls. They lingered for a long time giving kisses, receiving kisses, and shedding a few tears. They are saying goodbye for good to the Second Year TTC students. There are endless things that I will miss about these girls, but luckily I will see them again in June. It is difficult to imagine two months of my life in which Jincy's questions, Shemi's insistence in calling me "Miss", and time spent washing clothes with Kunya and Vava are absent. I think all of us are feeling this strange new hole in our existence at B.I. Boarding in different ways. 
an example of a sad face

The faces tonight at prayer were all solemn and resolved. The fact that school is ending is now clear and palpable. I am always a person who has been bad with things that are ending. I usually ignore it and get sad later. That's what I did with the end of college. I don't think I realized how much I will miss that place until I started my YAV year. 

Here, things are different. I am taking this leaving thing hard because this is my family. I am so emotionally attached to them because they have guided me and loved me through the first part of my year here. I don't want them to leave. I have that "What will I do without them?" narrative going on in my head. 

I realized today that I am blessed to feel this strongly for my hostel girls, but I also am being a bit selfish. They are getting to visit their families. They are going to spend quality time with their parents, siblings and neighbors. The summer is a chance for them to go back to their places and feel grounded again. I am excited for them and so happy that they get to go back early.

So, today I spent International Women's Day surrounded by the beautiful smiles, hugs and kisses of the girls who assure me each day that God is here, working through us daily. I think that is the most honest way I have ever spent this day in my whole life. 
"God sent children for another purpose than merely to keep up the race--to enlarge our hearts; and to make us unselfish and full of kindly sympathies and affections; to give our souls higher aims; to call out all our faculties to extend enterprise and exertion; and to bring round our fireside bright faces, happy smiles, and loving, tender hearts." - Mary Botham Howitt taken from The Treasury of Women's Quotations

Jincy and me :)



No comments:

Post a Comment