Wednesday, January 18, 2012

A Bountiful Harvest



On Friday of last week I got to go on the 5th standard tour to Neendoor Farms. It was so fun listening to the little ones sing songs and dance. The farm was beautiful and had all kinds of animals. They locked up all of the dogs in cages though, which made me a little sad.

I will always remember this day as “the day of eating” because the children showered me with cookies, candy, and 2 ice creams while Jessy Teacher packed me a huge lunch. I accepted them all graciously, but I don’t think I have been more stuffed in my life.

We also saw all different kinds of vegetables for sale and milk right from the grass-fed cow! Hearing that the cows were grass fed, I told the teachers how many cows eat corn and grass in the U.S. which is not good for them. Sharing that knowledge made me think of my Dad and Uncle Curt’s search to sell grass-fed beef at the Classic CafĂ©. I also learned the Malayalam word for black pepper which literally means “expensive black gourd” since it is really pricey.

Last weekend C.S.I. Pallom (the church I attend) also had their Harvest Festival! The celebration began on Saturday evening with a variety show. I would like to list all of the fascinating and hilarious sights I witnessed in lieu of these events. This comes directly from my journal entry Saturday night.

1)    Walking to the church and spotting a FULL banana tree leaning out of the side of an auto rickshaw, then watching the driver attempt to maneuver around with it. LAUGHED TILL I CRIED.

2)    Children dancing to Barney songs, and a cute, but slightly strange Children’s fashion show. The music was the strange part because it had creepy hard breathing and techno beats.

3)    Seeing the tree during the KNH hostel dance program and making the connection that it was the same banana tree I had just laughed about earlier.

4)    Singing “Naniyode Nyan Studipaddidum” mixed with “My Chains are Gone” for the show.  I received a round of applause within the first 10 seconds once the audience realized I was singing in Malayalam

5)    Watching the second year TTC students dance wonderfully and getting tears in my eyes at the thought of them leaving in February.
6)    Dudes in FULLY sequined suits dancing to a mix of Green Day’s “When September Ends” and some kind of Akon song. They were talented, but cheesy to the max.

7)    Seeing the Junior Michael Jackson of India perform his impersonation through dance. It was pretty impressive, but he was so thin I thought he may snap in half mid-moon walk.

8)    Buying snacks for the whole hostel with Sonia because we were there from 7 to 10 pm.
Me and Sonia

So first let me tell you a little bit about my new friend Sonia. She is a complete God send in my life. She teaches English at Speechly School and is a former student of Mariamma Kochamma.  She now lives down the hall from me in the hostel. She was very quiet at first because she thinks her English is not great, but one night two weeks ago we started talking and couldn’t stop.

She studied at CMS college for a period and knows some other volunteers like Laura and Alex Papp.  In my opinion, her English is wonderful, refreshing, and such a nice break from constant Malayalam.

She is only 24 years old, so we continue to find out things we have in common.  I am so grateful for the honesty and openness in our friendship.  It seems like I have known her forever. I also have finally found someone that I can truly call Chechi! She is like an older sister that I dearly love and respect.

Anyways, on Sunday we had a 7 am service (which none of us were happy to go to). I promptly dozed off the minute I sat down and continued sleeping on and off during the service. This is probably disrespectful, but the service was around 3 hours long. I couldn’t help it, and neither could some of the other girls from my hostel. We laughed at each other later for the occasional person who seemed perpetually stuck in “prayer” (a.k.a. sleeping).

We had breakfast as a congregation, and some of Sonia’s students gave us the royal treatment. They cut in line and got us breakfast and then gave us chairs to sit down in.  Later, there was a funny auction that included, among other things: A realistic stuffed German Shepherd, 4 live canaries, the biggest jackfruit I have ever seen, and TONS of wine. More wine than I have seen in India so far. Sadly the sun was so bright I didn't get any photos.

The festival was symbolic to me. My life is growing here. I have become so much more active in the school. Last week myself and the English teachers started an English Club. We will start working on a play soon.  I also started my Zumba class (finally) and started a new “word of the week” at the hostel involving one word I see occurring often in the newspaper.

 I am at peace.  I am living simply and abundantly. I am laughing a lot. I have a new energy, love and respect for where I am, who I am, and what I am becoming. 

                                          God is good all the time. All the time, God is good.

“My father is glorified by this, that you bear much fruit and become my disciples. As the Father has loved me, so I have loved you; abide in my love.” John 15:8-9

4 comments:

  1. With such great joy it is that I read your posts. I know that you are growing and discovering a bit more about your call to ministry. It is strange for me to say, but I miss India. I pray for your safety, your continued growth and for your friendships. let me know how else I can pray for you. Peace be with you dear friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this I love this I LOVE THIS

    ReplyDelete
  3. Rachel, Thank you for helping me reflect today on what it means to be "full." And giving us a chance to laugh and breathe and love with you all the way to India and back. I sit her in Texas with all the comforts of life and I still miss India. Traveling mercies.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oops...I thought my name would show up. This is Ashley Hood.

    ReplyDelete