Thursday, April 21, 2011

Building up Self

Selfhood. Personhood. The notion of the word I. What do I identify with? Academically I can unpack this in the context of social groupings. I can look at the things I currently belong to as the definition of me. This also limits me to a list of achievements. I have a resume, yes, but I am not my resume. 

What makes experiences worthwhile? Why do we place value on specific experiences? Why do some hold more weight than others? We must somehow begin to move from defining ourselves solely in action to defining ourselves by the passion, or lack of passion we have underlying action. There have been some experiences in my life that have been worse than others, but each of them builds upon the other to define my convictions. 

Why do we sometimes misplace self-confidence when defining certain parts of ourselves? For example, I am confident that I work well with power tools, yet I haven't picked one up since High School. How can I be so sure that I am still skilled at that level? The same goes for a lack of confidence in areas where I deserve credit. Such is the human struggle. Possibly just the Western struggle? 

I know this post is filled with Jargon, but school has still got me stuck in my head. On another note, I will be serving as the Youth Ministry Intern at Second Presbyterian Church in Little Rock Arkansas this summer!!!! I am so filled with love for that community! I can't wait to get the summer started!

From one soul to another,
Rachel 

No comments:

Post a Comment